Friday, February 18, 2005

Finite Amount

I have nothing to write about today. Fourth fucking entry and I can’t come up with anything to write. And this was always my main concern starting up my own blog. Could I write at a quality that I’m proud of for an extended amount of time?

The fear for any writer is that one only has a finite amount of energy and ideas, so to introduce a new project into the mix that could very well be a detrimental to your goals as an artist. Does that make sense? Okay, this can be paralleled to my worry about being a parent. Okay, hypothetically I have one kid. Then my wife gives birth to another child—boom. Now I must divide in half the love I have for the first child to give to my second child. And so on and so forth. This theory can be translated to my situation at the moment. Should I spend time writing for my blog or write the screenplay I’ve been avoiding for weeks? I only have a finite amount of creativity, you know?

3 Comments:

Blogger D said...

"Now I must divide in half the love I have for the first child to give to my second child."

Please tell me that is not really the way you think it works. Watch WW 5.1, where Toby's kids are born.

Friday, February 18, 2005 9:17:00 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

Ooh, Bernard, I have to go with D here - do you really think this way? If so, I'm concerned...love has its limits, but it's not finite. There is no halving the love for one with the introduction of another. Your total love just grows larger. I feel the same way about creativity - it has its limits here and there, maybe, but it, too, is not finite. You must merely turn your mind to another direction - difficult to do at times, but always possible.

Monday, February 21, 2005 10:29:00 PM  
Anonymous Margaret said...

Right, I mean think of all the other people you already love and how that reserve-love is quickly dwindling. Children? No, it just cuts into everyone else's piece of your reserve-love. And, frankly, I'm not sharing my portion with some sniveling brat. Let alone two. Or three. Hey, there's only so much to go around.

Thursday, February 24, 2005 12:12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home