Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Avoiding It

For about a week now, there’s been a parcel that’s been trying to enter my apartment. For one reason or another, it’s been unsuccessful. And I wasn’t expecting a parcel from anyone. So I’ve been leery about this package.
But I’m up early this morning, walk to my local post office and get the thing. The gentleman behind the Plexiglas gives me a package no larger than a shoebox. It’s from Molly’s parents. It’s making some sort of jingling noise as I am walking home. What could they have sent me? And then it hits me. They sent me flatware.
Molly has been on my case (as well as J) that I live like I’m still in college. Up until my birthday, I didn’t have pots and pans. Molly got that for me. I only recently bought plates and glasses. I hadn't bought any flatware.
I have knives from my parents that they got from a late night television promotion. I have two forks. One from a restaurant I used to work at in Columbus, the other is from a restaurant I worked at in Cleveland. I have one spoon, which came from a restaurant I worked at here in the city. At this rate I’ll need to work in at least fifteen different restaurants to have a complete set.
Anyway, I open up the box and discover a ton of mismatched flatware. I love every single piece. I immediately call up Joan (Molly’s mother) and thank her. She’s at work so we keep it short. (Joan and I get along fabulously.)
Do you think this gesture has deeper meaning? I didn't think so initially, but every time I told the story today, pretty much everyone gave me a funny look.

7 Comments:

Blogger D said...

So you finally have silverware. Too bad there's jack shit in your refrigerator.

To prove my point - pick up a pad and a pencil, walk to your fridge, write down the name of every item that is in there, come back to your computer, and post the list as a blog entry. I am betting there are no more than 5 items in there.

Prove me wrong.

Wednesday, March 16, 2005 10:19:00 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

My money's on 10-12, figuring in condiments. :)

Wednesday, March 16, 2005 1:26:00 PM  
Blogger B said...

I live by myself and I am almost never home. Perishable food has no place in my life. That being said, there are two things in my fridge: butter and water.

Wednesday, March 16, 2005 2:26:00 PM  
Blogger D said...

I WIN!!!

Wednesday, March 16, 2005 5:49:00 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

I live by myself and I am almost never home...but there's still a lot more than butter and water in my fridge!!!

Wednesday, March 16, 2005 9:35:00 PM  
Blogger MEC said...

why do you have water in the fridge?

Thursday, March 17, 2005 5:20:00 PM  
Blogger B said...

I like cold water.

Friday, March 18, 2005 2:37:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home