Monday, March 07, 2005

Margo

I sent THE COURAGE JOURNAL to my friend Margo a couple of days ago. She’s a smart broad with literary taste and a wicked sense of humor. She was among the few that read the original draft and her notes were by far the most informative of those I showed it to. I trust her judgment and I was terrified to know what she thought about the latest version of my script. But today she sent me this e-mail: “Bernard - you've got it! This is it! It's so much better and just seeping with love. Congratulations- you did it. The conversation is natural, the characters are sympathetic, the story is believable. The ending is perfect. This is a terrific re-write. One day I want the movie about the kid that was supposed to be a girl...but that's for another script. love, Margaret”. I think when THE COURAGE JOURNAL experience is over, I'll write a new script about that kid who was supposed to be a girl. I even thought of a title: LOLLIPOP BOUQUET. Thoughts Margo?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Margaret (Margo) said...

It IS a great rewrite and you stuck to the strengths of the first draft rather than sliding into the difficult moments - which sounds easy, but is very hard.
I hadn't thought of a title for the boy who was supposed to be a girl. . . I'll think about it. Lollipop Bouquet kind of scares me - I don't know why. Like the Bad Seed or something.
I really think it could be a funny theme as long as it isn't driving the plot (think Garden State and he was expected to be a girl rather than he inadvertently killed his mom). Well, that wasn't such a funny theme in Garden State, but you know what I mean. It would be a revelation to the viewer to explain the character's previous actions. I love it - and if you don't use it, I'm gong to steal it.

Saturday, March 12, 2005 12:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home