Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Shooting

The dates are set. Plane tickets are booked. I’ll be shooting THE COURAGE JOURNAL the third week of April in Los Angeles. (It feels so good to write that.) This is either going to be a disaster or the greatest thing I'll ever do.

I wrote THE COURAGE JOURNAL with several obstacles (some were self-imposed, some not) in front of me.
1. I'll only be able to take a week to shoot. Work and bills only allow me to film for a week.
2. I would camera operate. I'm terrified of this aspect of filmmaking and I've never directed while holding a camera. I'd have to on this one.
3. Could I get to the end I had created for myself? I had a very specific image that haunted me throughout the writing process and it was the final frame of the film. I needed to write an organic story that ended with that image.
4. Finish the project by 01 May 2005 so that it's eligible for entry into Telluride Film Festival.
5. What's the thing? Every film on a extremely limited budget needs a thing. I decided early on that THE COURAGE JOURNAL's thing would be this: it would be shot in one uninterrupted Steadicam take and the action happens in one room.

The script is done. It goes out to the actors by the end of the week. Let's hope they love it half as much as I do.

3 Comments:

Blogger D said...

I got your back. Tell me how I can help.

Wednesday, March 09, 2005 1:16:00 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Same here!!! What do you need?

Wednesday, March 09, 2005 10:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Margaret said...

So proud of you, Bernard. It's awesome and, of course, like the other comments, I'd do anything to help.

Saturday, March 12, 2005 12:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home