Sunday, March 13, 2005

Work Friends

Work friends are not real friends. I learned that a while ago. It comes from being 27 and working at a lot of different places. Of course there are exceptions, but for the most part they aren’t going to be in your life beyond your current job. I always use this gauge for friendship: If I were to get married right now, would this person be invited to the wedding? (If the answer is no, we’re not that close.)
After dinner tonight, Molly (who is wearing a very revealing low cut blouse) and I go to a bar on the lower east side to meet up with a work buddy of hers who is celebrating a birthday today. Instantly upon entering the bar, I regret the decision of going. I knew instantly that Molly’s invitation was a test. Could I handle a new situation with people I don’t know? The answer is, and any of you can ask J or Derek about this, a resounding no. I hate meeting new people. I’m awkward and uncomfortable. And here’s something my readership may not know about me: I hate drinking with people I don’t know. I have no relationship with them and thus no basis for conversation. It turns into small talk surrounded by chit chat. Nothing good comes from that situation. But there I am drinking my Guinness and talking to some faceless guy I couldn’t pick out of a lineup of one. I leave after my one beer, partly because I’m tired but mostly because I don’t want to watch a bunch of much bigger drunk guys hitting on the woman I’m in love with. It’s just not my bag. That’s just how I roll. So I bounce.
There'll be a day when Molly grows out of this phase of her life, where everyone's invited to everything and people drink to excess. And on that day I'll still be there.

2 Comments:

Blogger D said...

I can empathize with the at-the-bar-with-people-you-don't-want-to-get-to-know scene. Hate that.

My actual question is when did you start talking like a ganster? That's not "how you roll"? You "bounced"? OK, Ghetto-Fabulous. Watch your bling bling while your riding the subway, Yo. Peace out, my brother.

Monday, March 14, 2005 10:51:00 AM  
Blogger MEC said...

I think you're learning to not go to things you don't want go to. If you're not going to have a good time, save yourself and your friends: stay home.

Monday, March 14, 2005 11:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home