Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Flattered

Last night, I walked into the other restaurant that my chef owns and sat down with him. It was after hours. He handed me a beer without any prompting. I drank it nervously. I knew what was coming. My heart was racing.
“So you know that the GM is leaving.”
“Yes.” I knew this before he did. My General Manager and I are very close.
“I think you should take his job for a short time…until I find a permanent replacement.”
“Wow. I’m honored that you’d even ask me.”
“No I think you’d be great at it.”
The conversation sort of jumped around after that. But I told him I’d think about it and I am. It’s a tough thing becoming a manager. This isn’t the first time the manager seat has been pulled out for me. I’ve always turned it down. It’s just not my bag. I like being a soldier with a limited scope of responsibility. But I’ve been bored with my job as of late. And after a month of this added responsibility I’d have the choice to go back to being a server or stay on as a manager. I don’t know what I’m going to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home