Monday, April 04, 2005

Portion Control

“You look thin.”
I’ve heard that a lot recently. Due to film-related stress and my general nervous nature, I have been losing weight. And that’s okay. I’m still healthy looking.
Something struck me about this past weekend in Cleveland. Food portions in the Midwest are vastly bigger than NYC’s. They’re not even close. I’m used to eating an appetizer, entrée and dessert and I couldn’t do this once the entire weekend. Example: the wedding reception on Saturday had a five course meal. I love multi-coursed dining. But it only works if you adhere to The Law of Diminishing Returns, which says that with every subsequent bite you become less enamored with it, thus making every course small but focused. The same amount as an appetizer, entrée and dessert, but now it’s spread out between more courses. Instead, my wedding reception dining experience was just a waste of food. We started with a salad with Italian dressing. An Italian wedding soup (but they added chicken for some reason) followed. Now comes the pasta course, which was rigatoni with tomato sauce and sausage. Our last savory course had steak with a red wine demi-glace, sautéed mushrooms, sugar snap peas and carrots AND redskin potatoes. And we haven’t even gotten any wedding cake yet. It’s simply too much food. I guess it’s all about value out in the Midwest.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

Hey Bernard, you look thin. :) Lol...

Wednesday, April 06, 2005 7:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home