Thursday, May 05, 2005

I Call Him Day

I’m walking down 10th St. today with my co-worker Jackie and I see him walking the other way. I stop our conversation.
“Do you see him?”
“Who?”
Daniel Day-Lewis. He’s on the other side of the street walking the other way.”
“That’s not him.”
“A dollar says that is him.”
“I’ll do you one better. I’ll buy you a doughnut if it is.”
“You’re on.”
I run across the street.
“Excuse me sir!”
This man with a Grizzly Adams beard turns around. It’s him. My heart skipped a beat. I start my usual nervous talky thing that happens when surrounded by people I admire.
“I’m sorry to bother you but I just wanted to tell you that I think you’re wonderful. A truly fantastic actor.”
“Thank you.” He shakes my hand.
“Oh and I wanted to tell you that your wife is incredible as well.”
“That’s very kind of you to say. You know you could tell her yourself. She’s just down the way sitting on the stoop.”
“Yes sir. Anyway, good luck with your career, not that you need it.”
“Thank you.”
And then I waltzed over to Jackie.
“I guess I owe you a doughnut.”
And she did. And I ate it. My Victory Doughnut. And it was delicious.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home