Saturday, May 21, 2005

PTA Meeting

I’m at work when I see someone across the street who looks familiar. I walk closer to the doorway to get a better look. By the time I get to the door, my instincts were confirmed. It is Paul Thomas Anderson. Now for most filmmakers if you were to ask them who their greatest influence is, they’d tell you maybe Scorsese or perhaps Kubrick or possibly Hitchcock. Not me. Give me PTA. MAGNOLIA was the reason I became a filmmaker. Spielberg and Mamet have gone on record saying that he’s the best up-and-coming filmmaker working today. And I couldn’t agree more. So I run across the street and meet my idol.

“Sir! Sir! Excuse me sir! I’m sorry to bother you but I wanted to tell you I’m a huge fan.”
“Thank you very much. I was worried that when I saw you running that I had run out on a check or something.”
“Oh no. I just wanted to tell you that I think you’re fantastic. You’re the reason I want to be a filmmaker.”
“Wow thank you.”
“I must have seen MAGNOLIA and PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE so many times in the theatre that I should just give you some money.”
He laughs.
“I hope you make a new one soon.”
“Next year. I’m doing a new one next year.”
“Well I look forward to it. I tell my friends that if I can make a film a tenth as good as you I’d be happy.”
“That’s very kind of you.”
“My name is Bernard by the way.”
“Nice to meet you. Good luck.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home