Sunday, June 05, 2005

Food Stories

In the subway station, waiting for the D train, a woman sits next to me eating a quiche out of a to-go box. She’s using a plastic fork. The flaps to the box are sticking up in the air. Every once in a while she stops eating to grab an iced coffee drink next to her and take a large swig. This struck me as odd but I did not say anything.

After brunch, Eric, J and I went to Magnolia Bakery and got four cupcakes. As we walked to Washington Square Park, we passed a young woman on her cell phone visibly upset. J and I just look at each other and get the same look on our face.
“Let’s give her the fourth cupcake.”
“Yes.”
“Okay you go.”
“No. You should go.”
“Go with me.”
“Yeah that’s not gonna creep her out.”
While this cupcake debate over random kindness raged on, Eric was weighing the options.
“I don’t get a good feeling. I mean what if she’s on the phone talking about pulling her father’s life support.”
“You think that is what’s upsetting her?”
“Well I'm just saying that’s the worst case scenario. The other end of the spectrum is that she tells the story later like this, ‘…And then he came out of nowhere with a cupcake. That’s how we met.’”
We all stand there for a minute. We decide as a group that she was not cupcake worthy after all and moved on.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't you hate how Katie Holmes has made cupcakes the new "in" thing! If someone offered me a cupcake I would throw it back in their face for that reason.

Wednesday, June 08, 2005 10:50:00 AM  
Blogger The Humanity Critic said...

Cool post. Just passing through, I'm liking the blog by the way.

Wednesday, June 08, 2005 10:58:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home