Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Oh my God, it even has a watermark...

I went to my local bookstore to get a book--Walden by Henry David Thoreau. A pleasure read and one that was required for most high school students but not me. Recently, the book popped up in conversations I’ve had and witnessed and I decided now would be as good a time as any to give it a go. I finally find the book in the section titled Essays and find five different copies of the book. I was stumped. So I picked up all of the versions and glanced through each of them. I quickly found the one I wanted because it was by far the most beautiful book I’d seen in recent memory--uncut pages, fully annotated, hardback. It was stunning.
Does anyone remember the scene from AMERICAN PSYCHO when Patrick Bateman saw Paul Owen's business card? It was kinda like that for me. Of course the irony of me bringing up that scene is that the book I was ogling is a meditation on simplicity and letting go of things that don’t matter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home