Saturday, June 25, 2005

One Door Closes, Another Opens

At the beginning of service, I got a phone call from my favorite restaurant. The AC/DC fan asked me to call him back. It’s been a week since I last saw him and that was to pull my name from consideration for the Wine Director position. I call him back immediately.
“Hello Bernard.”
“Hello.”
“So there’s something I’m going to propose to you. We have a woman we’re going to bring on as a manager, but she can’t start until September. We’d like you to come on as a part-time manager for three nights a week, and maybe have a fourth night where you’d be a captain. And then in September, we’d hopefully bring you on as a server full-time.”
I’m stunned.
“There’s no reason to answer me now, but I need to know if you’re interested.”
“Yes. I’m very interested. Can I call you tomorrow?”
“Of course.”

In other news, it was my restaurant’s last night. It was a tough service. Lots of VIPs that received extra courses, but we got through it. I wanted this to be my last job in the industry, but it turns out not to be the case. I love this restaurant. It’s a bittersweet day for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home