Thursday, July 28, 2005

Command Response

It’s Margo’s birthday today. Spend it well my friend. I just hope that we’ll still be able to tell each other incredible things a million years from now. I love you.

Okay now here’s the important excerpt of the letter the girl sent me.
“There is a necessary clarification I should make, and neglected to make before I left because I was being a chickenshit girl. Please do not doubt that you have wow-ed me in many ways over the past few weeks. And know too that I’ve enjoyed what we’ve done together so much…but I don’t want to give you a false impression, either. Can I ask you to be a friend? For whom I make mochas and with whom I watch movies? Everything but the courting…. I know this is a difficult request. Consider it carefully, then, and write back if you can-“

Now here’s part of the letter I sent her yesterday.
“In regards to your letter and specifically your humble request I have an answer: I respectfully say no. Could I be your friend? Of course. But I’d never be able to get away from that nagging feeling that we should be more. My heart has been set in a certain direction as a result of our time together. I don’t know your reasoning for your request, but I know that you’ll need time to mull your decision. And until you do, I promise to be nothing but warm to you when we see each other. But I won’t be able to hang out with you. It would be too painful. Maybe I’m fooling myself into thinking that you like me—it’s part of my quixotic charm. But I think life should be lived with glorious mistakes as opposed to wistful regrets. I know that by telling you this I run the risk of never getting your call. I’m prepared for that. You know my number. When you’re ready call me.”

1 Comments:

Anonymous Margo said...

Bravo. Honest, heartfelt, and brave.

Friday, July 29, 2005 1:07:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home