Friday, August 19, 2005

Fabulous

Mirabelle (Claire Danes): Are you the kind of person that takes time to get to know, and then once you get to know them, they’re fabulous?
Jeremy (Jason Schwartzman): Yes absolutely. What?

-from the trailer of Shopgirl

I’m the type of person that loves getting to know people. I memorize the birthdays, the family history and weird personal quirks. It’s just part of the fun for me. Most people take my incredible memory for caring, but those impressed with this trait should realize that it’s a carnival trick designed to amaze the senses. They should be awestruck when it turns out that I actually care about them, which more often than not I do.

I tend to believe in the best in people. I live in a place where oddities are seen as beautiful. But that default faith that comes from my upbringing has recently been bruised. And I’ve never learned from the one truth that I keep getting hit in the face with: in the end, people will almost always disappoint you.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Margo said...

Everybody disappoints everybody else - sometimes. Everbody surprises everybody else - sometimes.
Tonight, B, write down all the unexpectedly wonderful things that people have done for you. Don't keep score. Stay grateful. Many people care about you and you are very blessed.

Saturday, August 20, 2005 8:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home