Tuesday, August 23, 2005

West Wing

My depression has hit a particular low. To buoy my spirits I've been watching The West Wing. So here are my top five episodes (in no partular order) of the first four seasons (I haven't watched since Aaron Sorkin stopped writing it).

17 PEOPLE
Season 2, Episode 18
A play. There are two stories working--Toby learning about President Bartlet's MS and Josh "celebrating" Donna's and his not-anniversary.
Sample exchange from this episode:
DONNA
Does this make you feel superior? Yes, you are better than my old boyfriend.

JOSH
I’m just sayin’ if you were in an accident, I wouldn’t stop for a beer.

DONNA
If you were in an accident, I wouldn’t stop for red lights.


---
BARTLET FOR AMERICA
Season 3, Episode 9
A Leo-centric episode. My favorite final scene in any West Wing episode. Still gets to me.
Sample exchange from this episode:
BARTLET
Yeah, yeah. How does she look to you?

LEO
Who?

BARTLET
Her.

LEO
She looks good.

BARTLET
What's she wearing?

LEO
[to Jordan] What are you wearing?

JORDAN
What does it matter?

LEO
Why don't you ask the President that?

JORDAN
A gray Armani suit.

LEO
[into phone] Spandex.

BARTLET
I like you and her. It's like a '50s screwball comedy.

LEO
You're like a '50s screwball-

BARTLET
What was that?

LEO
Nothing.


---
H. CON. 172
Season 3, Episode 10
My favorite episode. Ends with Amy Gardner and Josh on his steps. Enough said.
Sample exchange from this episode:
AMY
Okay. You didn't talk to me much at school.

JOSH
You were having quite a bit of sex with Chris.

AMY
There were times I wasn't.

JOSH
I studied a lot in school. I studied hard in high school and at Harvard and in law school. My IQ doesn't break the bank, and I wanted to do this so I studied all the time. And I missed something or it's like I skipped a year 'cause I never learned what you do after you think you like somebody-- what you do next. And every-everybody did learn. A lot of other people, anyway. I didn't walk out tonight. When my phone rings at 11:00, it's important. Not important to me. Important. And I'm not puffing myself so-so that you're...

AMY
You know what? Maybe not so much for you with the talking. [they kiss] Thanks for the drink.


---
GAME ON
Season 4, Episode 6
Best opening scene in West Wing history. The big debate between Ritchie and Bartlet. We're introduced to Will Bailey in this episode.
Sample line from this episode:
LEO
There's no such thing as too smart. There's nothing you can do that's not going to make me proud of you. Eat 'em up. Game on.


--
INAUGURATION: OVER THERE
Season 4, Episode 15
The first scene is one of my favorites. I love that speech that Will gives Toby. And then later Will becomes Deputy Communications Director. Also there's the Donna and Josh thing outside her apartment.
Sample exchange from this episode:
DONNA
Listen, this guy's got an important career ahead of him.

JOSH
Your career isn't important? What was the point of anyone claiming.... You knew it was easy to figure out it was him.

DONNA
Not as easy as you made it. I didn't think about the top of the quote-

JOSH
The list of things you didn't think about, including your job, what the President thinks of you.

DONNA
Does he know about this?

JOSH
He's about to. (BEAT) You look amazing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home