Thursday, September 01, 2005

Moving Day

Later today I'll be moving into my new apartment in the Village. It's 1:34 in the morning and I'm going to start packing soon. I've started already. That is, if you consider re-creating all the boxes that I had to haul from NYU, starting. I don't have that much stuff. Really I don't. Every time I move, I throw more and more stuff away, just so that I won't have to bring it with me to the next place. We'll see if that holds up.

Today, before I got the majority of boxes in my apartment, I saw the girl at the coffeehouse. I was in a goofy mood.
"Did you get my e-mail?"
She shakes her head.
"No."
"I wrote you last night."
"I didn't check my e-mail yet today."
"You want me to just tell you what I wrote, being I'm right here and all?"
She slyly grins.
"Sure."
"'Dinner Friday? Thoughts?' That was it. It was a short e-mail."
She laughs. I love her laugh.
"I'd love to have dinner with you. But I have reservations."
"Reservations?"
"Well, I guess, since it's dinner, one of us should make reservations, but I have other reservations."
"Okay."
I know where this is going. And for some reason, I've ignored all the common sense and sage advice that all my friends have dispensed and asked this woman out again. But part of me just doesn't care. Maybe I'm a fool.
"I want you in my life as a friend."
God I hate to hear that sentiment. Guys like me hear that shit all the time. I for one, am tired of it.
"Uh huh."
"I want to be clear with you before this goes any further."
This seems like covered territory. And my reaction to this, was to play into it. I don't know what got into me.
"Listen, we'll have a great time. I know exactly what we'll be doing."
I didn't. I was just testing her fortitude on the situation.
"Are you trying to take me out on a date?!" She said this with equal parts mock surprise and scolding.
"Whoa whoa whoa. Listen lady. I just want to go to dinner. If you want to call this a 'date' that's your trip."
She laughed, like she always does when I'm being totally adorable and winning.
I continue. "You'll get an e-mail this evening as to the details for Friday night." And then I left.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So what happened Friday????

Saturday, September 03, 2005 6:00:00 AM  
Blogger Mandibula said...

Sorry...this is Mandy.

Saturday, September 03, 2005 6:01:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home