Sunday, October 23, 2005

Best Vacation Ever

You know how most vacations you come back home more tired than when you left for the vacation? Last week was the best vacation I’ve ever had in my life, even trumping any number of Disney World family vacations and my freshman college sojourn to Savannah, Georgia. And for the first time a vacation has left me feeling invigorated instead of exhausted.

As mentioned in the previous blog post, I went to Portland, Oregon. It’s an amazing place for many reasons, not the least of which is that it is the home of Margo and Nick--my two closest friends. I had never been and it’s everything I was told and more. The city is beautiful and easy to maneuver around (I never opened a map the entire time there, even though I drove almost everywhere).

Last week, also was my first week of truly getting to know Mark (Margo’s fiancé). Even with all of Margo’s attention to detail, I felt I didn’t know him that well. She’s gonzo in love with him and I’ve been thinking (as any good friend naturally would do), “Is he cool enough for my friend?” A week gone I am able to say that not only is he everything that was hyped to me, he's more. Funny and generous in spirit, he is by far and away my favorite spouse of any of my friends. I even got to a place where I was able to let him give me a massage, which was a first for me. (He's going to school for it, so this isn't an extraordinarily weird happening.)

And I'm ready to declare that The Albina Press is the best coffeehouse in the city. It’s got Wi-Fi and a spread out room (both of which my NYC coffeehouse lacks).

I usually spend my NYC experience hungry but I was on vacation and I had heard Portland had wonderful places to eat. Margo took me to Zell’s for breakfast (which is the best in the city) and Nick took me another morning to the Tin Shed, which I like for ambiance and the self-serve coffee. For dinner, I loved Noble Rot, ate a couple times at Echo, brunch was okay at Gotham Tavern and I had lunch at Wildwood (which should have been better). But I ate like a king while I was there, in a constant state of fullness.

One night Margo, in spite of feeling under the weather God bless her heart, took me to a theatre pub, which is what it sounds like. At the concession stand, among your options are beer and pizza. And when you sit down in your theatre, there’s shelving so you can place your food and drink in front of you while you enjoy the movie. We saw Junebug, which was my second time seeing it. A gem of a film. And it was nice to hear Margo’s lovely laugh while watching. Girl’s got a wicked sense of humor.

I was there long enough to even take a day trip to see the Pacific Ocean. It’s a short drive (about an hour and a half), but worth it to see the indigenous trees and a misted beach. Truly breathtaking. (Random thought: Van Morrison is the best music to take a drive to.)

Oh Nick and I have begun writing a wonderful romantic comedy. It’s smart and is designed to reinvent the genre. Time to start a permanent revolution.

Ralph Waldo Emerson once wrote that, “A friend may well be reckoned the masterpiece of nature.” And for the first time I think I get what that means. I have never laughed as much as I did this past week. And it meant more to me that I was able to share that with Nick, Shannon, Mark and Margo. Thank you so much you guys.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Margo said...

B, Thank you so much for coming all this way to see our lives here. When you left, Mark said to me, I wish B were staying another week.
I've never had a house guest, so fun, so easy to have around.
You were hilarious, helpful and enthusiastic the entire time - a perfect house guest. And I'm still working on the wine. Yum.
We love you and miss you something terrible,
M&M

Thursday, October 27, 2005 6:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home