Tuesday, November 08, 2005

almost had to call in the Mystery Machine

It’s 7:00 in the morning when my phone rings. Who the hell is calling me at this hour?! I open up my phone. It’s Chris Monaco. I pick up.
“Chris?”
“Bernard.”
Chris and I talk pretty much every day. It’s unusual when he and I don’t at least touch base through voicemail. But he dropped off the face of the earth over a week ago and we haven’t talked since. Was he mad at me? If so, what for? Is he alright? My concern is growing. He’s a level-headed guy and extremely dependable. Him not calling is rather odd. So he finally calls...at 7:00 in the morning. I have to pick this call up even though I’m dead tired.
“Are you alright?”
“I’m great. You?”
He goes on to explain that he left his phone in a NYC cab and he hasn’t called me back because he hasn’t had a phone. Mystery solved. We chit chat about the Michelin Guide of New York City, his work, my work, the women of our lives. Now we’re at around the 25 minute mark when he asks the oddest thing.
“What are you doing up at 7:00 in the morning?”
I’m up because you called me you jackass. Who calls someone at that time? I mean seriously.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home