Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Criteria

Today a restaurant made me an offer I couldn’t refuse. I accepted the job on the spot and immediately called up the chef/owner of the yet-to-open place I had promised to work and told them that I had to take this new position.
Many people have asked me how I chose this restaurant. The criteria I used was simple. I created a wish list of dream elements. I know that no job has everything you are looking for, but it’s nice to look at what factors into your decision. So here they are in no particular order.
1. No lunches or brunches--less money, early wake up time and dealing with diners who are rushing you at your job so that they can get back to theirs
2. Full-time--at least four shifts
3. Exceptional food--food that I would love to eat myself
4. Already open--a steady and growing client base
5. Great atmosphere--what’s the room and what are the co-workers like?
6. Non-corporate--support the little guy
7. Located in Manhattan--close to home would be cool
8. Server position--management doesn’t pay
9. Small--quality of service and food easier to control in this environment
10. Good reputation--a Michelin Star would be nice
You’ll notice money is not on the list. That’s because I’m just looking for a steady gig that lets me pay the bills. All the restaurants I had sent resumes out to would have done that. Also, I hate letting that be a consideration. I just want to be happy going to work. It should be a place I look forward to going, not dreading. I think I found it. And it fits all but one of the criteria (it’s in Brooklyn).

1 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

Didn't you work at Per Se?

http://www.slate.com/id/2129306/

Hope you're well. :)

Wednesday, November 30, 2005 9:32:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home