Saturday, November 05, 2005

What Kind Of Day Has It Been

My day starts with Rebekah, my self-adopted sister, calling me to get coffee. We plan to meet at my coffeehouse, where the girl (Em) is working. Em is on the register and there’s a long line. I stand to the side and talk to her as she works. She likes it when I do that. Keeps her mind off all the people waiting for coffee. So I do my part--intermittent conversation filled with laughter and pointed observation. Eventually Rebekah shows up and I take her to work. She works at a pretzel stand in the Union Square Farmers Market. She reveals that she is considering becoming a hair colorist or stylist.
“Do you think I’d be happy doing that?”
“I don’t know. What do you want?”
Rebekah is at that stage of her life--post-college, search for personal meaning, what the hell am I doing with my life? We’ve all been there. I planned on being a lawyer at one point. And for a while there I wanted to be a political operative. Oh and there was a time I wanted to teach high school and coach forensics. It’s a period where your friends are your savior because your parents just want you pick a thread and be happy. (And financially solvent hopefully.)
--
Next up was the game. John and I were coaching today. (Head Coach Scott was away on business, so we had to take over.) The Bucks (that’s our team name) were amazing. Of course they’re only seven. So amazing is relative, I guess. They won 20-7. They killed the other team. It was awesome getting that first win of the season. And particularly pleasing given the thrashing that they were given last weekend.
--
And then I ran to work. I abhor work. And we were shorthanded. So you can imagine how my rather delightful day turned sour. But I left at a quarter to 11 because I had somewhere to go.
--
I walk into the Lakeside Lounge in the East Village and grab a beer. I head for the band. Tom Shaner. Never seen him before, but he’s quite good. I only caught the tail end of the set. (Covered Cold Water by Tom Waits. Anyone that covers Tom Waits is a friend.) I was there because on a couple songs, Em was back up vocaling. And the last song, Heart of Glass by Blondie, I got to see her sing. She wasn't expecting me to come. That was my surprise of the day. After the set, I go up to her. She turns around and yelps.
"I thought you couldn't come."
"I thought you said that this was important."
"How much did you see?"
"Just the tail end of the set. You've got a good voice."
She blushes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home