Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Duke did kill 'em

I’m in my coffeehouse about to go to work. My cell phone rings. It’s John. John, who I worked with at a job I had this summer briefly, is my best guy friend in the city. He’s married with three kids (two of which are twins and are two of my basketball players). His children are models, who undoubtedly you’ve seen on some print ad somewhere. Occasionally, I’ll spell either John or his wife at a photo shoot, so that one of them can be with one of the other children at a different modeling gig or audition. I’ve become an extended part of their family. John and his wife are the much older brother and sister I’ve always wanted. (On another note, they want to set me up with a couple of young women they know. I’m approaching any set-up situation with trepidation.)
Anyway, it’s John on the phone.
“Hey man. Cup of coffee.”
I look at the cup of coffee in my hand.
“I’m at the coffeehouse.”
“I’ll be right there.”
“I have to be at work in forty five minutes.”
“Plenty of time.”
I hang up and throw my stuff on a seat. I turn to Em, who has gotten her hair highlighted and who is working the register, and say, “John”. She nods. She knows John. She likes John. I mean, who wouldn’t? He’s a delightful person.
Eventually John shows up and the second he does, I decide that I just don’t want to go to work. I’m just not up for it. I’d rather spend time talking to John about any number of inane topics.
“God I don’t want to go to work.”
“Get out of it.”
“Any suggestions?”
“Food poisoning. You ate some bad tunafish this morning.”
“Will that work?”
“Food poisoning is a serious thing man.”
“I’ll give it a shot.”
And I did. And it worked. So now I’m at the coffeehouse with no particular place to go and John springs a simple plan on me.
“Come over and have tacos and beer with the family.”
“Alright.”
“Duke is playing UPenn.”
“That shouldn’t be a very entertaining game. Duke’ll kill ‘em.”
“Yeah. That’s why I’m hoping for.”
And that’s what we did. Had tacos, beer and watched basketball. A much more relaxing Wednesday than the alternative of working don’t you think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home